Monday, September 15, 2008

High tech TV and further oven experimentation

I'm resigned to the fact that I'll be spending at least another 6 months (possibly more) with The Dump as is, so I decided it's time to commit to some infrastructure. Late last week I called AT&T and signed up for home phone, DSL and wait for it... DISH TV! All bundled together gives me a pretty good discount.

Now, for those of you who know me quite well, you know that I don't watch TV. The only reason I own one is because it gets connected to the DVD player. However, there are some show that I've come to enjoy, and I'm setting up the house for winter hibernation, so I went ahead and ordered TV for the first time in 10+ years.

The friendly (and chatty!) Dish technician came out on Saturday and installed my dish and DVR. I now have 200 channels, which is somewhat overwhelming, but considering that I can record it to watch later and then fastforward through commercials, I think I can handle it. :o)

Since I had to commit to being at the house for the Dish installation sometime between 1 and 5 on Saturday, I decided to bake a cake in my newly accepted oven. Armed with an oven thermometer, the cake came out decidedly better than the cookies (the oven temp is off by about 125°). However, this experiment told me that I have a cold spot on the left side of the oven as evidenced by that half of the cake collapsing into squishy under-doneness after I pulled it out. Hopefully that is easily resolved by setting a timer to rotate all baked goods halfway through baking time.

No comments: