Monday, March 3, 2008

Impatiens = Cheap and Cheerful Color

This weekend brought some amazingly beautiful weather with it. Saturday was busy with lots of stuff, but Sunday offered several hours to putter in the garden. My pre-emergent weed killer I spread a month or so ago has done a pretty good job of keeping the weeds in the rose bed to a minimum and most of the pansies are thriving.

The bed in front of the porch has been weeded and enriched with compost and pre-emergent weed killer several times, but still grows some amazing clover. I weeded it again and decided that it needs some plants to improve the curb appeal a bit. It's a mostly shady bed, due to the magnolia tree, so I was struggling about what to put there--I didn't want to invest in some nice perennials that are going to get trampled once construction starts, but most bedding plants are sun lovers. In the end, I opted for a flat of impatiens for $20 in the "mystic" mix of hot pink, light pink and super-light pink. I plugged in all 48 plants, and I'm sure they are far too close together, but I so don't care at this point. I want an explosion of color and foliage that won't break my heart when they get thrashed by construction workers with big boots.

I watered them this morning and told them they better not die today--I need them to last at least a week. :)

No comments: