Sunday, September 9, 2007

Stuff

Why do we accumulate so much STUFF as we travel through life? As I'm packing what seems to be a never ending stream of belongings, it has made me ponder this. Many are sentimental--hand me downs from my Nana, or memories from adventures, gifts, etc.

For example, I love to cook and bake and many friends know this and so give me kitchen-themed gifts. Do I really need three sets of mixing bowls? A drawer full of gadgets? An endless supply of kitchen towels? I think not.

I'm feeling like I'm under the gun to get everything all ready to move, so I'm not even pausing to weed out anymore. I'm packing things that my or may not find a home in my new house and am simply chucking non-breakable stuff into boxes willy nilly. As I do, I vow to be more discriminating as I unpack. I will certainly have the mother of all yard sales after I move in to the house.

When I do, take a wild guess what I'm NOT going to do with the proceeds... That's right, I'm not got to use them to buy more stuff! I'll put it toward a landscaping fund, or my entertainment kitty, or toss it into savings or something equally productive.

Even with all the stuff, I think I've made good progress this weekend. Took a load of plants to Kat's house for babysitting (and so that she can use up the basil before it fades for the season), and have pretty much emptied the storage closet downstairs. All that remains are cans of paint that I don't know what to do with, by trainer for my bike, and Mali's travel cage. YAY! Though I do need to collect Rosie (cruiser bike) from Natalia who borrowed her while her mom was visiting so they could go cruising into town.

This time next week I'll be completely packed up and ready for the movers to come at 8:00 on Monday morning.

No comments: