Wednesday, October 24, 2007

100% elbow grease--no photoshop involved, I promise!

Alright, you know The Dump was disgustingly filthy when I got it. I have mentioned this several times. The progress I made in the bathroom, little bedroom and living room prove it. however, with continued cleaning, it's all coming around.

When I saw the kitchen linoleum floor, I thought it was dated, a bit dirty and VERY worn (Assumed to be worn beyond recognition in some places) and I vacuumed/swiffered to pick up the big stuff, but that's about it. Since I've been staying there a few nights a week and padding to the coffee pot barefoot in the morning, I decided to scrub the floor. I quickly discovered that the floor is dated, VERY, VERY dirty and only a bit worn (under where the table probably was). Armed with a bucket of water with Murphy's Oil Soap and a scrub brush, I made an 18" swath of clean floor and decided I needed to photo-document it.

The following photos are completely un-retouched and may shock you. Viewer discretion is advised. :)

BEFORE (well, sort of. Do you see that "stripe" against the wall? That's clean floor, so this is technically a "during" photo):

Here's the "really worn" area:
AFTER (turns out it's worn only in patches):
BEFORE (Lovely 70's BROWN and yellow lino):
AFTER (Only moderately dated yellow & tan lino):
As if that is not proof enough, I opened the laundry room door after finishing in the kitchen, and saw the line o' grime:Yes, it is still ugly, and yes, it is still worn in areas, but other areas are shiny and clean. Now that the heavy scrubbing is out of the way, I'll go over it with some Mop n' Glo to make the whole thing look shiny and clean.

No comments: