Monday, October 15, 2007

Ouch!

My body aches this morning. I spent 90% of my waking time this weekend painting at The Dump. The results are FANTASTIC though, so I don't mind feeling stiff and sore. I got the little bedroom painted with my $4 gallon of pink paint, and the bathroom is now a nice lovely tan. The dot on the can lid didn't look that tan--more of a creamy white. Oh well--it's not bad at all, so I'm going to go with it. It achieved the desired result--a fresh looking bathroom where I don't feel dirty while trying to get clean. Same goes for the bedroom--it's REALLY pink, but it's fresh and cheery and most importantly, it's CLEAN. The difference is amazing.

I skimped in the bathroom and did only one really good coat on the walls (the can said it offered one-coat coverage, and it mostly delivered). The ceiling required 2 of the white-white I used, even though it is the same type of paint. That second coat was well worth the effort though. I think it helped that the bathroom was previously painted with semi-gloss paint--it went on quite smoothly. Even with the primer, the bedroom walls and ceiling sucked in the paint. They took two coats (thankfully I had enough paint!). The closet got only one coat because, well, it's a closet and it was the end of the day!

Unfortunately, we ran out of gas, so the trim work did not get done this weekend. So, I didn't take any photos since it's not 100% finished. Maybe later this week if I can get out there early enough after work one night.

I set up the twin bed in the bedroom and it looks quite cozy and fresh. Coincidentally, about a year ago I found some cute pink and brown bathroom textiles on uber-clearance at a closing Hold Everything store. I bought it up planning to re-do the bathroom at the condo, but then never got to it. I'll be using the striped shower curtain to cover the window, and a bath mat for stepping out of bed. The nester in me bought a brown duvet cover for my queen sized down duvet (since the room is cold, I want to be able to snuggle down) for $20 at Ikea. The colors all tie in nicely and it looks quite planned. HA! Nice work for a under $50.

Getting these two rooms freshened up and usable has made a big difference in the spirit of the place. It doesn't change that it's all going to get ripped out and remodeled soon, but at least the place feels a bit more perky and a little less Dumpy. If it means I can stay there more regularly until construction actually starts, I'm satisfied. I'm now using the big room for storage of tools, paint, etc so that the kitchen/living room stays tidy and I've closed the door to that bedroom so I don't even have to look at it.

No comments: